Instytut Pamięci Narodowej

Polish Months

December 1981

December 13

On December 12, at night, the authorities commenced operation "Jodła", during which they interned persons considered as a potential threat to the political system. The arrests were made using previously prepared lists by officers of the Citizens' Militia and the Secret Police. Those detained were not limited to members of "Solidarity". During the period of martial law, more than 10,000 people were detained - some two or more times. Announcement of the introduction of martial law in Poland. This was accompanied by the imposition of certain rigors on society, such as a curfew, ban on gatherings, the suspension of all associations, unions, etc. Only the dominant party - the PZPR - was allowed to operate (notabene, it had been experiencing an organizational crisis ever since the appearance of "Solidarity"). Martial law was accompanied by the militarization of a large number of key workplaces. In the judiciary, a simplified procedure was introduced, which allowed the imposition of stringent penalties - including the death penalty. The Military Council of National Salvation (WRON), comprising high ranking military officers and headed by General Wojciech Jaruzelski (simultaneously the 1st Secretary of the Central Committee of the Polish United Workers' Party, Prime Minister and Minister of Defence), was established. The task of the Council was to administer the country during the period of martial law. In actual fact, it was no more than a propaganda tool. The WRON was rapidly dubbed "wrona" (crow), as opposed to the eagle. Indeed, a famous motto was soon coined - "The crow can't defeat the eagle". The first protest strikes were held. A National Strike Committee, headed by Mirosław Krupiński, was established in Gdańsk Port.

December 14

Sit-in strikes and demonstrations were held at numerous plants. According to the official (albeit incomplete) data from the Ministry of Internal Affairs, in December 1981 strikes and protests were organized at 199 workplaces throughout the country. Regional Strike Committees were set up in Gdańsk, Wrocław, Białystok, and Świdnik. In the capital, strikes and protests were very weak - and not only in the largest industrial plants. These came to an end during the night from December 15 to 16. This was considerably influenced by the draconian regulations of martial law and the organized pressure of the military and militia on the strikers (demonstration of force). In Przemyśl, the Interim Regional Executive Committee of NSZZ "Solidarity" was established.At the confinement center in Białołęka Dworska, internees organized a rebellion, wrecking their rooms and breaking windows – a company of ZOMO officers was required to restore order.

December 15

The Supreme Council of the Polish Episcopate convened in Warsaw. In its communique it stated that "the bishops consider one of the most important matters to be ensuring that trade unions, and in particular the Trade Union "Solidarity", regain the possibility of acting in accordance with their statutes". The first Social Resistance Committee is established in the capital. The Łódź Committee of the Democratic Party passed a resolution condemning the introduction of martial law, pointing out its illegality, and denouncing the brutality of the Secret Police. Four days later, the central authorities of the Democratic Party suspended the Presidium of the Łódź Committee, as well as eight of the Party's members.

December 16

At the "Wujek" hard coal mine, a ZOMO unit shot at the miners from close range. Seven of them died on the spot: Józef Czekalski, Krzysztof Giza, Ryszard Gzik, Bogusław Kopczak, Andrzej Pełka, Zbigniew Wilk, and Zenon Zając. In the next few days, two more - Joachim Gnida and Jan Stawisiński - succumbed to their wounds.

December 17

A Decree of the Primate, Józef Glemp, established the Primate's Committee for Assistance for Imprisoned Persons and their Families. Although it functioned under the patronage of the Church, it was administered and run primarily by laymen. The method of action of the Committee became an example for other similar initiatives around the country. The first issue of the underground "News" appeared in the capital. The ZOMO broke up street demonstrations in Kraków.

December 18

Pope John Paul addressed a letter to General Wojciech Jaruzelski with an appeal for the abolishment of martial law and "a strong request […] to cease actions that lead to the shedding of Polish blood". The authorities suspended the activities of the A. Warski Szczecin Shipyard and proceeded to dismiss employees (1,015 people were fired in this way).

December 19

The strike at the "Azoty" Plant in Puławy was pacified. 20 people were arrested.

December 20

The last workplace to cease strike action in Gdańsk was the Port of Gdańsk. An Interim Plant Committee of NSZZ "Solidarity" was established at WSK Świdnik.

December 21

At the appeal of the French trade union centrals (without CGT), work was interrupted throughout France for one hour as a sign of solidarity with the Polish workers. The first issue of "Fighting Solidarity" was published in Łódź - this was the first clandestine paper to be published in this city during martial law.

December 22

Countries of the European Economic Community issued a declaration criticizing the repressions introduced in Poland.

December 23

The security forces broke up a sit-in strike at the "Katowice" Steel Mill. The US  President, Ronald Reagan, announced the introduction of economic sanctions on Poland.

December 24

One of the longest sit-in strikes came to an end – at the "Ziemowit" hard coal mine. Provincial Court in Koszalin sentenced four persons accused of being the leaders of a strike at the "Unitra" Plant in Białogard to terms of 3 to 3.5 years imprisonment.

December 25

At the shores of Alaska, six Polish fishermen boarded an American tow boat and asked for political asylum.

December 27

"Time Magazine" selected Lech Wałęsa as its man of the year 1981.

December 28

After two weeks, the final strike - at the "Piast" hard coal mine - came to an end.After two weeks, the final strike - at the "Piast" hard coal mine - came to an end.

December 29

General Tadeusz Szaciło declared at a conference for foreign journalists that "today in Poland we have the first day of peace, without any strikes or other social tensions". At workplaces, employees were subject to "verification" - in fact, this was a purge of "Solidarity" members. During martial law, purges were also carried out in professional groups that were of considerable importance for the authorities - journalists, the judiciary, and education.

December 30

The Provincial Court in Łódź sentenced Andrzej Słowik and Jerzy Kropiwnicki to terms of imprisonment of 4.5 years each. Following a revision, on 18 III 1982 the Supreme Court increased the sentence to 6 years.

December 31

The curfew was suspended in order to allow people to take part in New Year's Eve celebrations. The Primate of Hungary, Laszlo Lekai, appealed for the provision of food aid for Poland. The gifts were to be handed over to the Polish Episcopate. Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On one of the streets in the township of Supraśl, a plaque was installed with the words "To the victims of December 1970 and 1981", and flowers were placed.


In Rzeszów, an underground structure was established - the Regional Executive Committee of NSZZ "Solidarity".

January 1

A few dozen members of the National Committee were transported to the prison in Białołęka near Warsaw from the camp in Strzebielinek. These included Karol Modzelewski, Janusz Onyszkiewicz, and Jan Rulewski. The "Kurier Polski", a paper connected with the Democratic Party, started to circulate. The Primate of Poland, Józef Glemp, visited women interned at Olszynka Grochowska, Warsaw.

January 2

In Warsaw, the first double issue of the underground paper "Tygodnik Wojenny" (Wartime Weekly) was published, which was dated January 7, 1982. This was one of the prime independent press titles in Poland during the period of martial law.

January 3

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On January 3 an information and propaganda display cabinet was destroyed at the District Committee of the PZPR Poznań-Jeżyce, by use of an explosive device".

January 4

In 10 provinces of the 49 existent then, telephone connections were restored. This did not concern, among others, Warsaw, Gdańsk, or Kraków. After a break of a few weeks, classes commenced in primary and secondary schools. Intellectuals sent a letter to General Wojciech Jaruzelski, in which they demanded the cessation of the usage of violence with respect to defenseless citizens, the release of those arrested, and the observance of civil rights in accordance with international conventions adopted by the People's Republic of Poland.

January 5

The authorities dissolved the Independent Association of Students. This organization was the first to be banned, a practice used on a wider scale during martial law by the authorities with respect to various circles enjoying a certain degree of independence and that were judgmental of the authorities.

January 6

In Wrocław, the Provincial Command of the Citizen's Militia commenced an investigation concerning 80 million zlotys taken from a trade union account prior to the introduction of martial law. These funds enabled the rapid organization of resistance in Wrocław after December 13, 1981.

January 7

At a sitting of the Parliamentary Committee for Internal Affairs and Justice, the Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, Bogusław Stachura, informed that 5,906 persons had been interned. With respect to 839, the decision to effect internment had been revoked (mainly for humanitarian reasons). "Prophylactic-warning" discussions were continued.

January 8

The Court of the Pomeranian Military District in Bydgoszcz used the summary procedure to sentence Marek Bronisław Muszyński for the organization, on December 19, 1981, of a demonstration at Transbud in Szczecin.

January 9

From the Fordon prison near Bydgoszcz, the interned women were taken to Gołdapia in the then Province of Suwałki (near the border with the USSR). For the first time after December 13, 1981, Primate Józef Glemp met General Wojciech Jaruzelski.

January 10

"Solidarity" of the Lesser Poland Region issued a directive for keeping plant-specific chronicles of martial law, among others with the objective of recording the repressions used by the authorities at workplaces.

January 11

A flood alarm was activated in 14 provinces. A dramatic flood situation occurred in the Province of Płock, where nearly 12,000 people were evacuated. The foreign affairs ministers of the 15 NATO countries met in Brussels and condemned the introduction of martial law in Poland.

January 12

In the Mazovian Region of NSZZ "Solidarity", the so-called "occupation code" was published and signed by well-known trade union activists headed by Zbigniew Bujak. In its form, it referenced similar regulations published during the occupation of the World War II. It mainly specified activities that were desired from the point of view of social resistance (e.g. assistance for people dismissed from work, disobedience towards imposed limitations).

January 13

Establishment of the All-Polish Resistance Committee "Solidarity" under the leadership of Eugeniusz Szumiejka and Andrzej Konarski.

January 14

Publication of the first issue of the new official paper "Rzeczpospolita".

January 15

102 representatives of the world of culture and science, acting in protest against the illegal actions undertaken by the authorities, submitted the following declaration to Parliament before its January sitting: […] "We demand that the authorities cease confrontation with their own nation; the abolishment of martial law, freeing of the interned, and the cessation of repressions against members of NSZZ "Solidarity". We demand the commencement of dialog with the legally elected authorities of "Solidarity" and the Church. We turn with an appeal to all Members of the Parliament of the People's Republic of Poland, to the United Nations Organization, and to the Human Rights Committee appointed at this Organization that all available steps be taken in order to achieve the abolishment of martial law in our country". […]

January 16

Commencement of the publication of "Życie Warszawy"; following a purge, 60 journalists from an editorial staff of 100 were dismissed. In Rzeszów, the summary procedure was used to sentence Antoni Paweł Kamiński to 5 years of imprisonment for organizing a strike at WSK PZL Rzeszów.

January 17

The 2nd Programme of Polish Radio resumes broadcasting. At the Stanisław Kostka Church in the Żoliborze district, Father Jerzy Popiełuszko holds the first mass for the Motherland. This soon became a regular religious and patriotic event, gathering hundreds of people from around the country.

January 18

Session of the Joint Committee of Representatives of the Government and Episcopate. The session was devoted to the current social and political situation in Poland.

January 19

A meeting of Bishops - Ordinaries was held in the capital. In their pastoral letter, they called, among others, for "respecting freedom, and in particular, the freedom of conscience and belief of every man". In Bielsko-Biała, the chairman of the Board of the Sub-Beskidy Region of NSZZ "Solidarity", Patrycjusz Kosmowski, was arrested. He was accused of continuing the operations of the trade union. On March 26, 1982, he was sentenced to six years of imprisonment, a loss of civic rights for 3 years, and a fine of 6,000 zlotys. This was one of the most severe sentences passed in political trials during martial law in the Sub-Beskidy Region. Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "Internees at the penal center in Mielęcin organized a hunger strike".

January 20

A decision was made to build the first nuclear power plant in Poland, in the township of Żarnowiec. The Regional Executive Committee of "Solidarity" in Lesser Poland was established. Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: A fundraiser was held at the Dolnośląskie Zakłady [Wytwórcze] Maszyn Elektrycznych <<Ema-Dolmel>> in Piechowice in order to help internees".

January 21

A Regional Committee was established in Kraków. During martial law, it took over the tasks of the Lesser Poland Board of the NSZZ "Solidarity" Region. The first issue of the "Wola" paper was published in Warsaw. This soon became connected with the members of the Interplant Coordination Committee "Solidarity", which was active in the capital.

January 22

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "A fundraiser was held at the poultry plant in Gostyń with the objective of helping the families of interned employees of the facility".

January 23

The President of Warsaw agreed to the organization of a session of the Board of the PAX Association, which had previously been suspended. Ryszard Reiff, who was the sole member of the Council of State to vote against the decree on martial law, was removed from the Board. Following the introduction of the requisite changes, the Association resumed activities in February 1982.

January 24

Primate Józef Glemp visited internees in Białołęka.

January 25

Parliament accepted - with five abstentions and one vote against (MP Romuald Bukowski) - the Act on Special Legal Regulations during Martial Law. It also approved a decree of the Council of State on Martial Law, dated December 12, 1981.

January 26

Lech Wałęsa received an internment decision dated December 12, 1981. The chairman of the trade union refused to commence discussions with the authorities without the participation of the members of the National Committee and Solidarity advisors.

January 27

The Navy Court in Gdynia used the summary procedure to sentence five persons who had participated in a strike at "C. Hartwig" in Gdańsk to terms of imprisonment ranging from 3 years (Krzysztof Sosnowski) to 7 years (Mariusz Hinz).

January 28

At night, a cross commemorating the tragedy, which occurred on December 16 at the "Wujek" mine was broken. Miners on the first shift refused to go to work. The military commissar of the "Wujek" mine ordered that a new, oak cross be made and placed in exactly the same spot.

January 29

Acting on the instructions of the Regional Strike Committee in Wrocław, a half-hour strike was held in protest against foodstuff price rises that was planned by the authorities. The Secret Police in Gorzów broke up a group of students from Primary School No. 2 that were printing pamphlets.

January 30

In Gdańsk, a demonstration was held at the monument that was dedicated to the Victims of December. The Citizen's Militia and ZOMO intervened. More than twenty people were arrested. The authorities reacted to these events by extending the curfew, switching off telephones, and introducing a ban on the usage of private cars.

January 31

The authorities decided to resume sales of gasoline for private cars. The possibility of purchasing gas was intended de facto as a "sweetener" for society, which had already been hit with dramatic price rises that had come into effect on February 1, 1982. In the United States, a special program was broadcast entitled "So that Poland may be Poland".


Establishment of the Regional Strike Committee (RKS) of NSZZ "Solidarity" in Piła. This was headed by Jacek Ciechanowski (deputy chairman of KZ NSZZ "S" in "Polamie"), who has been hiding since December 13, 1981. The RKS – in various periods – had the following members: Jacek Lenartowicz (ZSO "Polam"), Ryszard Bednarek (Industrial Complex of the Building Sector), Leonard Wesołowski (ZNTK), Zdzisław Kobuz (Piła Petroleum and Gas Corporation), Zdzisław Nowicki (Provincial Cooperative of the Handicapped), Franciszek Banasz (ZSO "Polam"), Janusz Lemanowicz (Central Research and Development Institute), Roman Nisiewicz (ZSO "Polam"), Krystyna Lemanowicz (PSS "Społem"). The RKS had its own paper, the "Lech". In Leszno, 6 "Solidarity" activists, who had printed a pamphlet entitled "An appeal to all members of society", were arrested. All of them were put on trial before the Air Force Court in Poznań and sentenced to terms of imprisonment ranging from 1 to 4.5 years. Jadwiga Chmielowska, a member of the Board of the Silesia-Dąbrowa Region who had been in hiding since December 13, set up the Regional Coordination Committee of NSZZ "Solidarity" of the Silesia-Dąbrowa Region.

February 1

The authorities of the People's Republic of Poland introduced a drastic increase in the price of foodstuffs (on average by 241%) and electricity (on average by 171%).

February 2

As punishment for the organization of, and participation in, the strike at the "Katowice" Steel Mill, which lasted from December 13 to 23, 1981, the Provincial Court in Katowice sentenced five persons to terms of imprisonment ranging from 4.5 to 7 years. In Kościana, the authorities arrested Krzysztof Włodarczak, who was distributing pamphlets. He was sentenced by the Air Force Court in Poznań to a term of imprisonment of 3 years. In 1983, the Council of State used its right to grant a pardon, and he was conditionally freed from prison.

February 3

The trial of the employees of the Maritime School accused of organizing a strike came to a conclusion before the Navy Court in Gdynia. The sentence handed down was the highest of all imposed for the December strikes: Ewa Kubasiewicz was imprisoned for a term of 10 years. The others were sentenced to 3 to 9 years (Jerzy Kowalczyk, Władysław Trzciński).

February 4

The Court of the Silesian Military District sentenced participants of the strike in the "Ziemowit" mine to terms of imprisonment ranging from 3 to 7 years.

February 5

Residents of Świdnik commenced protest walks during the broadcasting of the official television news program. This was a protest aimed against government propaganda and the smear campaign that it perpetrated against "Solidarity". In the next few weeks, similar campaigns were organized in other cities.

February 6

The Provincial Court in Olsztyn used the summary procedure to sentence 4 persons to terms of imprisonment ranging from 3 to 4 years for the organization of, and participation in, a strike December 13-14.

February 7

Activists of the NZS, who were still free, lodged an appeal with the Supreme Court, this being done through the agency of barrister Stanisław Szczuka, against the dissolution of the NZS.

February 8

The press continued a propaganda campaign supporting the establishment of Citizens' National Rebirth Committees. An important, inspiring role in the establishment of these committees was given to party members and representatives of the military.

February 9

Pope John Paul II welcomed a delegation of the members of "Solidarity" comprising activists from Western Europe, and stated that "The free and independent "Solidarity" trade union is a legal organization, which is officially recognized by the Polish authorities".

February 10

In Warsaw, secondary school students used Molotov cocktails to set alight the monument of Feliks Dzierżyński, standing on present-day Bankowy Square. Classes commenced at the majority of seats of higher learning. Intercity telephone and telex connections were re-established.

February 11

In Warsaw, the first issue of "Tygodnik Mazowsze", the underground paper of the Mazovian Region of NSZZ "Solidarity", was published. On a national scale, this became one of the most well-known underground papers - and not only during the period of martial law. Notification was given that the trial of the organizers of the strike at the "Wujek" mine had come to a close. Four persons were sentenced to terms of imprisonment ranging from 3 to 4 years.

February 12

In Poznań there was a five minute protest strike against martial law, the repressions, and the enormous price hikes.

February 13

There were demonstrations and fights with the militia in Poznań. As a result of the wounds received, on March 5 Wojciech Cieślewicz died. 194 people were arrested. In response to the protests, the authorities toughened the rigors of martial law, banning the usage of private cars and closing down cinemas, theaters, and entertainment establishments. In Wierzchowo Pomorskie, the prison service battered internees (45 persons were beaten, 10 of which heavily). They used fists, sticks, and flame throwers. The inmates were protesting against unjust punishment and the violation of human dignity in relation to the activists of Koszalin-based "Solidarity": Jacek Figiel and Bronisław Śliwiński. (On 18 VIII 1982, the proceedings in this case were dismissed by the Military Prosecutor's Office in Koszalin).

February 14

In Lublin, as a sign of solidarity with the residents of Świdnik, marches were organized during the period of the broadcast of the television news program. These were directed against government propaganda - which the said program personified. The campaign lasted more than 10 days. The internees in Potulice began a 5-day hunger strike.

February 15

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On Krakowskie Przedmieście Street in Lublin there was a protest march organized with the participation of 3-3,500 persons, which was during the period of the broadcast of the main television news program". Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On February 15, a POMZ-2 mine without explosive material was thrown towards the building of the Provincial Committee of the PZPR in Gdańsk".

February 16

Telephone connections were restored in Gdańsk, people were once again allowed to travel using private cars, and cultural and sports events were restarted.

February 17

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "At the Stefan Batory Secondary School No. 2 in Warsaw another "silent break" was held". Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "At the Chemical Plant in Pionki, 14 employees started to wear black armbands as a sign of solidarity with the internees".

February 18

In Warsaw, Robert Chechłacz and Andrzej Łupanow attempted to disarm a Militia officer, sergeant Zdzisław Karos, who was accidently shot in the process and died a few days later (February 23). Within a short period, persons participating in the event and other members of the youth group from Grodzisk Mazowiecki were arrested. A similar fate met their spiritual leader - Father Sylwester Zych. The event was used by the authorities to present the allegedly terroristic character of "Solidarity" - however, the boys were not members of the trade union.

February 19

The government spokesman, Jerzy Urban, informed Western journalists about a priest from the Koszalin Province (most probably Father Żywulski), who was tried for insulting the state and General Wojciech Jaruzelski himself. In Kraków, the Archbishop's Committee for Assistance to Prisoners and Internees commenced activities; later on, this was renamed the Archbishop's Committee for Assistance.

February 20

The official press published proposals of the Committee of the Council of Ministers for Trade Unions concerning the trade union movement; these were, de facto, an introduction to the banning of "Solidarity" by the authorities.

February 21

In Szczecin, posters were hung presenting General Wojciech Jaruzelski in an SS uniform, with the words "traitor – ZOMOsa", "Adolf Jaruzelski". Pamphlets calling for passive resistance were also distributed. Residents of Puławy started street marches during the television news program. These lasted until February 26.

February 23

An interplant Regional Executive Committee "The third row" of NSZZ "Solidarity" in the Sub-Beskidy Region was established. It was founded by a group of activists from FSM and other industrial structures, mainly from Bielsko-Biała. It was headed by Jerzy Binkowski. Over the next few months, "The third row" became one of the largest underground networks of "Solidarity" in the country.

February 24

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: A fundraiser was held at the <<Katowice>> Steel Mill in order to help internees".

February 24-25

A session of the 7th Plenum of the Central Committee of the PZPR was held - the first after the introduction of martial law.

February 25

For the strike at the "Lenin" Steel Mill, Mieczysław Gil and Edward Nowak were sentenced to terms of imprisonment of, respectively, 4 and 3.5 years.

February 25-26

The 183rd Plenary Conference of the Polish Episcopate convened in Warsaw. The bishops called, among others, for the conclusion of a social pact.

February 26

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: A fundraiser was held among the employees of the Transport Plant of <<Katowice>> Steel Mill in order to help the internees".

February 27

The state-owned company "Film Polski" withdrew the Oscar candidature of Andrzej Wajda's "Man of iron".

February 28

A delegation headed by the Deputy Prime Minister, Mieczysław Rakowski, travelled to Cuba.

March 1

The Minister of Internal Affairs, General Czesław Kiszczak, informed that from the beginning of martial law a total of 6,647 persons had been interned, while 2,552 had been freed.

March 1-2

For the first time since the introduction of martial law, an official state delegation visited Moscow. The Soviet authorities assured everyone of their support for, and understanding of, the situation faced by their Polish comrades.

March 2

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "A fundraiser was held at the Nowotarskie Zakłady Przemysłu Skórzanego <<Podhale>> in Nowy Targ in order to help the internees".

March 3

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "Signatures were being collected under a petition addressed to the management of the spinning mill at Lubańskie Zakłady Przemysłu Bawełnianego in Lubań concerning the reinstatement of a master worker, previously dismissed for the lack of supervision and control".

March 4

The Court of the Pomeranian Military District of Bydgoszcz sentenced leaders of the strike organized at the A. Warski Szczecin Shipyard following the imposition of Martial Law. Six people were sentenced: Dr Mieczysław Ustasiak - 4 years of imprisonment, Andrzej Milczanowski - 5 years of imprisonment, Tadeusz Lichota - 3.5 years of imprisonment, Ryszard Drewniak - 1.5 years of imprisonment, Witold Karolewski - 1.5 years of imprisonment, and Stefan Niewiadomski - 1.5 years of imprisonment. The Court of the Pomeranian Military District of Bydgoszcz sentenced Father Bolesław Jewulski to a term of imprisonment of 3.5 years

March 5

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "An illegal meeting of the activists of NSZZ "Solidarity", which lasted a couple of hours, was held at the Goods Branch of the transport enterprise "Państwowa Komunikacja Samochodowa" in Turek".

March 6

"At the Zakłady Przemysłu Wełnianego "Biawena" plant in Biała Podlaska, 200 employees undersigned a petition calling for changes in the management of the company".

March 7

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: A fundraiser was held among the employees of the Provincial Post Office in Radom in order to help internees".

March 8

At the Prison in Ostrów Wielkopolski, a 42-man group of internees commenced a hunger strike in protest against "infringements of human and citizen's rights". The protest lasted until March 21. At Warsaw University, students commemorated the anniversary of "March 1968" by laying flowers below a memorial plaque.

March 10

March 13 - the Court of the Warsaw Military District during its sitting in Suwałki passed the highest sentence known in this region during the period of martial law. Julian Grochowski, a 4th year student of the Economic Academy in Wrocław, accused of printing and distributing pamphlets in Augustów in January 1982, was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 4.5 years. As part of this case, Wiesław and Ewa Szwed were also sentenced to terms of imprisonment of 3 years each. An underground Strike Committee - the Coordination Council of NSZZ "Solidarity" - was set up in Szczecin. It comprised, among others, of Grzegorz Durski, Stanisław Wądołowski, and Stanisław Zabłocki. The RKS published its own illegal paper - "Z podziemia". Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "At the Nuclear Physics Institute in Kraków, some 200 employees signed a petition to abolish martial law and submitted it to the management of the Institute […]" Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On March 10, eggs were thrown at the building of the Municipal and Communal Committee of the PZPR in the township of Krajenka." The Human Rights Committee of the UNO passed a resolution demanding the secretariat of the UNO  to elaborate a report on the situation in Poland.

March 11

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "At the 'Adamów' brown coal mine [in Turek], a group of 6 employees placed a wreath below the figure of Saint Barbara, which was purchased with the monies previously gathered among the crew".

March 12

In Wrocław, the Secret Police closed down a printing shop that was publishing the "Z dnia na dzień" bulletin. Four people were arrested.

March 13

In Poznań, university and secondary school students established a Movement for the Self-governmental Republic of Poland (among others, it included Zbigniew Czerwiński, Tomasz Galant, Andrzej Gigiel, Jarosław Pogorzelec, and Tomasz Zagozda). Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "45 persons interned in a camp in Włodawa refused to accept meals".

March 14

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "As a sign of protest against martial law, the inhabitants of 6 student hostels in Gliwice extinguished lights and lit candles". Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On March 14, the bust of Feliks Dzierżyński in Poznań was dowsed with paint".

March 15

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "40 Internees at the penal center in Ostrów Wielkopolski refused to accept their meals and decided to consume articles obtained from parcels".

March 16

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "Numerous wreaths and flowers were placed before the cross on the premises of the <<Wujek>> hard coal mine; candles were also lit and pamphlets distributed".

March 17

In Bydgoszcz and Toruń, 15 minute strikes were held at numerous workplaces. In Katowice, at the parish of Saint Saint Peter and Paul, a Bishop's Committee for Assistance to the Imprisoned and Interned was established.

March 18

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "On March 18 at the Dolnośląskie Zakłady Wytwórcze Maszyn Elektrycznych "Dolmel" in Wrocław there was disclosed a 4-man informal group that was engaged in distributing an illegal paper entitled <<Odrodzenie>>".

March 19

Records of the Ministry of Internal Affairs: "5 employees of the [Bydgoskie] Fabryki Mebli in Gniewkowo stopped work for a period of 15 minutes as a protest against martial law".

March 20

The authorities dissolved the Association of Polish Journalists. The RKS was transformed into the Interim Regional Committee, comprising: the chairman of the Board of the Białystok Region of "S", Stanisław Marczuk, vice-chairman Jerzy Rybnik, and Roman Wilk, Dariusz Boguski, and Krzysztof Burek.

Select Pages